Friday, January 27, 2012

SMARTCARS - ARE THEY REALLY THAT SMART?

Every time I see a Smartcar I automatically look at the driver because I have to question why someone would want to drive around in a hybrid.   No, I'm not even referring to fuel-efficient cars.  I just think these cars look like a cross between a running shoe, one of those large shopping carts that normally carry at least one howling kid in the grocery store and half an armadillo

I personally drive a hybrid for fuel-efficiency and really enjoy filling my tank about one a month so I recognize the merits of limiting our dependency on oil but I think there is a difference between being environmentally conscious and looking dumb.   To me  it looks like these cars took a wrong turn and should actually be driven on Mars.   Of course, the other very serious consideration is that I don't think these cars would hold up well in a wreck.   I'm not sure from a safety view point that there's much difference between driving one of these cars and riding a Harley Davidson.  Not for a moment would you catch me in one on the highway.   I once owned a Mini (poor cousin of the Cooper) a few decades back and believe it or not, a truck did drive over it, rendering it totally unrecognizable.   It was at that point that I decided that I would never drive anything that could be squashed almost to the point where I could take it home in a suitcase!

I worry that in an effort to reduce carbon footprint and introduce "smarter" options, that the motor industry is compromising other (more important) issues such as safety.   What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment